Search This Blog

Where is TIDES INN Today?

Click here map link
The last position reports for Tides Inn will be displayed on the map. (Courtesy of www.winlink.org) Tides Inn homeport is Dare Marina, Yorktown VA

Varnishing (actually CETOL)

   Finally finished all the stripping and sanding, time to move to applying the 4 coats of Cetol. I use the "Natural Teak" version which provides the closest appearance to real varnish (but lasts twice as long because of the UV filter protectors contained). It does turn darker after a couple years in the sun, but not nearly as dark as the original Cetol which turns a fairly muddy brown color that most purest dont like.  I dont use the gloss topcoat that is available so the end result is a matte type appearance. You can see I've started at the bow which has 3 coats so far.


   Taped off the "eyebrows", that strip of teak above the portholes, and gave them their first coat today. I will do the first coat on the gunnales tomorrow and 2nd coat on eyebrows - before the rains come on Saturday. Need to get the sanded teak covered with at least one coat before it rains or else I will have to sand them again to remove the water stains. 

   I'm hoping to get the teak work done by next week, although I have to have 3 more days of rain free afternoons, and the forecast is for rain each day next week.  Now that I am through stripping and sanding and will have at least one coat of Cetol applied, I can start scrubbing the deck. The teak dust leaves a stain on the fiberglass that can only be removed with rubbing compound. But the deck needs compounding anyways to remove the sun oxidation, which is why I waited until all the sanding is done to attack the decks. Once it is all cleaned and shiny, I'll apply Woody Wax which provides a protective polymer coating. 
   Then it is on to the fresh water tank and refrigeration - and we might be ready for some sailing by the end of the month!