Search This Blog

Where is TIDES INN Today?

Click here map link
The last position reports for Tides Inn will be displayed on the map. (Courtesy of www.winlink.org) Tides Inn homeport is Dare Marina, Yorktown VA

Making Progress

Every job takes about twice as long as you think it will, but at least being retired means you have the time to spend.  I finished up the starboard side compounding, first using heavy oxidation cutter, then again with 3M Finess-It fine cut.  Takes about 6hrs for each pass so 2 days to do each side. I still need one more pass with Finess-It on the port side.  Then move on to waxing and buffing. That's probably a day per side.  The hull looks pretty good except, now I know how many scratches I have - lots. But you dont see them unless you are this close.

   My arms are tired from the compounding so I decided to do some "cross-training" and move on to teak sanding/scraping.  It took 2 days to sand the outside gunnales (80 and 240 grit) then a third day to strip the 1/2inch wide underside - then most of day to remove the protective masking tape and wash off the glue residue. The a thunderstorm came through which meant having to sand again the next day. Finally, ready for the first coat of Cetol. I am only doing the outside of the gunnales while the boat is pulled; I'll do the rest of the job at Dare Marina once we are finally on the water. 

     Still have the bottom to do and boot stripe. That's a week or more of work.  Not looking so good for 31 May launching unless I step up the pace.  Given that it hit 90deg today, that may not be likely.